Friday, June 7, 2013

Have You Been to an Artists Gathering?


I attended AGP’s Artist Gathering at Sanchez Art Center Wednesday night.  It was the second of what I hope will be a continuing series, and its theme was “Creativity Happens”.  About 15 people were in attendance seated round-table style in the Main Gallery and surrounded by the wonderful art and original furniture of artisan Gary Knox Bennett, which is currently on exhibit.  AGP Treasurer Daniele Derenzi led the group in her animated and personable fashion. She was well prepared and kept conversation rolling along.  Some attendees seemed shy and reserved at first, but by the time we were a half hour into it, everyone was participating.

I had a wonderful time not only because it was a social gathering full of people that love art like I do, but because of how willing attendees were to share their feelings and experiences. Conversation included how to stay creative when it’s a challenge.  I was interested in what was referred to as “showing up” to your art, as Denny Holland put it, and how carving creative time out of a busy day is an integral part of fanning the creative spark.  Studio Artist Charlotte Seekamp expressed that no matter what she’s doing, her Wednesday evenings are devoted to art or art related activities.

Conversation wandered into other areas such as discovering a sense of art community on social networking sites like Facebook.  The group touched upon how comfortable a person might or might not be with receiving unsolicited feedback on Facebook, for example, or even from family members. I was impressed with how folks readily discussed confidence, as well, which can be a very personal topic.

The gathering was still in gear when I left at 8:30 p.m. At home, I felt very inspired and made considerable progress on the painting I’m working on. It was proof enough to me that “showing up” really is important in more ways than one!

The next AGP Artist Gathering occurs in late July, and members are encouraged to suggest topics for discussion.  I hope more members take advantage of this opportunity, which is completely FREE, by the way, and not tainted by grand-standing, popularity contests or conversation hogs.  It’s quite the opposite, and finds its groove at fun, interactive, and cozy.

I hope to see you at the next gathering.

By Donna L. Faber
AGP Board Secretary
donnalouisefaber.com

Disclaimer: My computer and printer are not speaking to one another right now, so I was unable to pull a copy of this post for editing, which I most prefer to do.  Therefore, any typos should be forgiven. Eventually, I will track them all down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...