Thursday, June 14, 2012

The Pleasures of Gallery Sitting


Life is fast.  It’s so fast that I cherish every quiet moment, as those moments are few and far between.  I found some of those moments gallery sitting at the Oceana Gallery recently during the Art Guild’s “First Really Big Show” at Eureka Square.

I signed up for a few two hour periods of gallery sitting since the opening, and thought about how I might spend that time.  Would I enjoy quiet contemplation surrounded by art and the echo of my own thoughts?  Or would I catch up on my journaling?  Maybe I’d read a good book, which I haven’t done in ages.  I brought my journal with me, a good magazine, and brought my camera, too. The time to get the best photos is when the gallery is empty.  But I noticed other guild members found their quiet time there, as well. 

I enjoyed an hour of great conversation with Katherine, who told me about her husband’s painting. I learned about Kay’s painting, as well, as she enjoyed knitting hand-crafted hats in the Gallery’s comfortable leather chair.  I explained how the Guild works with new comers more than once, an am pretty sure I recruited a member or two.  I hope I did.   I bet everyone will agree there’s nothing quite as cool as having your art up on a gallery wall.

When my stretch was done, I sat outside in the cool ocean air.  The trees whispered in the wind, and the great column of fog worked its way in land. I felt ready to step out of my artistic reverie and back into my life, rejuvenated again.

The Guild’s “First Really Big Show” is already over, and the next show pops up soon at Oceana Gallery, the Guild’s first pop-up gallery.  Volunteers to gallery sit will always be needed, and Guild members are encouraged to volunteer by contacting Daniele Derenzi at oceana.artgallery@gmail.com or (650)303-1813. Sitting is typically done in two hour blocks, and volunteers receive one voucher for each two hour block done up to a limit of four vouchers.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...